Opening

On Sept 7, 2014 a team of missionaries from Elevate Church in Monroe Michigan will travel to Chisinau, Moldova to work with the New Hope Moldova team to share the gospel with orphans and transition home residents fighting human traficing in Eastern Europe. The team will share our experiences and how God is changing our lives on this blog.

If you would like to receive an e-mail when new posts are available, please submit your e-mail address below

email statement

Wednesday, September 10, 2014

God is working

This has been an amazing journey thus far.  We have had a busy few days that is for certain.  Our Elevate team has been stretched and is growing as a group. Our New Hope partners have been so very gracious - caring for us like family -  and I am so very greatful for this.
We have expanded our work to include education on human trafficking in the schools. The first school was for teenagers - what we would call high school but it is called college here. Actually our mission was 3 fold - human trafficking awareness, English  language by virtue of us speaking for them to hear, and lastly giving them hope. We were not to mention God when the presentation is closed with the message of hope, but God opened the door when a teacher asked why and how we came. Mark did an excellent job responding 'we came from a church and our God teaches us to love all people, we came because we loved them and wanted them to know that human trafficking is not ok.' Wow - God opened a door that wasn't suppose to be open. We had a fun time at the day camp with games, teaching and fellowship. The story about Jonah and the whale really hit home - Да (yes) Jacob played the part of Jonah and even tried speaking a little Russian - some his famous lines include: Нет (no) and Помоги мне (help me). The children seem genuinely excited to be there. Worship music included songs in both English and Russian  thanks to Jacob, Hollie, Valerie, Андрей (Andrew), Наталья (Natalia) and Джон (John). One of the children even came up to lead a song in Russian. Another highlight of the day was when a young gypsy boy went out with me to learn to jump rope. He wanted to do it like Mike Tyson would but was having difficulty. One of the older boys from the transition home saw us struggling and came over to assist with the instruction. He was so patient and kind to the younger boy. That is what I find  to be a miracle, in all the craziness the kindness of the children to one another - especially from those living in the home. They are being raised by the house family and church family - to love one another. What can I do as an American with our children to act in the same manner? I believe boys with the jump rope were actually there to teach me - God working all things together for 'our good'. Those boys will be the change in their generation. 
Today we went to the school in the poorest section of town which happens to be a school where many gypsies attend. When the boys and girls came into the class room or were walking the halls I was surprised to see many of the children who were attending the day camp. Now really, I should be asking myself why was I surprised - the church is there to reach the least, last and lost. I loved seeing the familiar faces light up when the saw us, pointing at us to their friends and then running to give us a hug. A little girl, Sonja, ran up to me and gave me a random hug - how could I not hug her back? I had not seen her before but her brother Viet was familiar to me from camp. I asked him to bring his sister tonight. Guess what, she got there before him! How could I not greet her with a pick me up hug - the smile and wonder she expressed makes my heart ache. Our bible story today of David and Goliath centered around purpose and goals which was the life lesson Alex taught about. We ended by putting face paint on the children and ourselves because we want to be warriors for God. It was fun other then the pink paint staining our skin - but what is the big deal about stained skin when we compare it the amazing smiles we saw and the love of God these children are being washed with? I am so blessed to be a part of God's amazing plan for their life (and them being a part of mine). 
Please to all reading this, excuse my misspelled words and such as it is hard to post from my cell phone (also why I am unable to post photos but will do so upon my retun). I ask that all pray for our team was we continue to work out God's mission not our mission.

1 comment:

  1. incredible story Beth... lots of love and prayers coming your way

    ReplyDelete